When I first reached out to Marlo, I admittedly wasn’t all that familiar with Barre fitness is and what it entailed. I was simply uber excited for the opportunity to reach out to woman who runs a fitness studio and with whom it turns out I share the same answer to Question 6!
For those of you who follow me on Instagram (@rtracey1150 and @boqyoungent), I’ve shared pics and stories regarding my own fitness goals and my aim to completely change my lifestyle to something healthier than it was. Now that I have researched Barre Body Studio, this type of class might just be the newest addition to my fitness regime!
Everyone, please welcome Marlo Brausse, the founder & owner of Barre Body Studio!
Question 1: Describe yourself in 3 words only.
- Dedicated, Energetic, Compassionate.
Question 2: Tell me more about your business(es)? What kind are they?
- Barre Body Studio is a boutique fitness studio specializing in barre fitness classes. Each class incorporates elements of strength training, cardiovascular exercises and flexibility with the use of weights, Pilates balls, the ballet barre and high tempo music.
Question 3: Where does your entrepreneurial drive come from? What are your sources of inspiration?
- My drive comes from an unstoppable-will to create a life on my own terms. I worked for the Government of Alberta for 10 years prior to taking the leap to open my own business. Leaving a safe, secure, 9 to 5 job was daunting yet so rewarding.
- I definitely pull strength and inspiration from other women both from my personal life and business women outside of my circle. Women empower women – I tapped into this at a young age and continue to look to other women as a strong source of support.
Question 4: Considering how fierce competition is among your industry, what are your business(es) competitive advantages? What makes you stand out in the crowd?
- At Barre Body Studio our purpose is to Empower, Educate, Connect thru movement. We do that by offering exceptional customer service and exceptional barre fitness classes. We are committed to excellence on all levels.
- We were nominated as the Best Place to Workout in Calgary in the 2017 Best of Calgary awards because of our commitment to our values, our community and our offering.
Question 5: No two days are often the same for an entrepreneur, but what does a typical day look like for you?
- My typical day starts at 6am with coffee, shower, and then getting my three kids (9, 6, 3 yrs) up and out the door for school. Once the chaos of the morning has settled I tackle emails, run reports to track sales, attendance and studio utilization and then head to the studio to teach. I teach 5x per week at various times.
- When I am not at the studio I am either in meetings with community partners, my team members, my business coach or sneaking in my own sweat session at one of my other favourite studios in the city.
Question 6: What do you do daily to grow as a person?
- Read, sweat, connect.
- I read and listen to podcasts a ton throughout the week. I am constantly learning more about myself and how to run a business. Personal and professional growth go hand in hand. You can’t achieve one without the other. It’s possible but not sustainable.
- I schedule my own workouts. It allows me to re-connect with myself, my goals and what’s important in life. It is easy to get caught up in the ups and downs of life. Fitness keeps me balanced.
- I connect with others. I feel most full inside when I spend time sipping coffee with with friends or family. It is hard to make time but the simple moments are so incredibly fulfilling.
Question 7: What tricks have you discovered to keep you focused, productive and achieve a decent work/life balance?
- Goal setting. I need something on the horizon to keep me focused, driven and aligned. Making progress towards the goal allows me to feel successful each day. I don’t need big wins just small steps towards whatever it is I am focused on. It is absolutely incredible what you can accomplish by take small steps forward each day. Setting goals and measuring them then allows me to step away and be with my family when I have made a step or 10 in the right direction each day.
- If I don’t have a ‘north star’ or guiding compass I feel lost, uncertain, and unfulfilled. I’ve been there before and what happens is you either burry yourself in more work looking for the answer or keep yourself ‘too’ busy outside of work to find it. Either way, creating your north star will always guide the way to keep you focused, productive and balanced.
Question 8: What popular entrepreneurial advice do you agree/disagree with?
- Hmmmm I definitely agree that it is important to have a business coach. Entrepreneurs spend many days and many hours on their own working through various different ‘things’ that come up on a daily basis.
- It is definitely important to have someone else, outside of family, friends, co-workers, to bounce ideas off of and seek unbiased advice from. We all need mentors/coaches in our lives.
Question 9: What’s your favourite metaphor to describe entrepreneurship?
- It’s like a roller coaster, except you never get off. You go up, down and around again. Enjoy the ride because there is nothing that compares to creating something of your own for others to enjoy.
Question 10: What was the toughest moment you have experienced in your business practice? How did you succeed to get over it and move forward?
- Over the past five years in operation we have experienced the Alberta Flood in 2013, the downturn in the Calgary economy and as of recent the market saturation of boutique fitness studios.
- Remaining consistent to our offering; Exceptional customer service, Exceptional barre fitness classes, has allowed us to remain at the top of our field. Nothing fancy. Being brilliant at the basics, especially during difficult times, has allowed us to weather anything that comes our way.
Lastly, if someone wants more information, what is the best way to contact you?
- You can find me on Instagram @marlobrausse or email firstname.lastname@example.org