Barbara Schultz and I have crossed paths on more than a few occasions in the Bay of Quinte Business Community and she has always been supportive of Bay of Quinte Young Entrepreneurs.
We connected a lot over the few days of the Canadian Rural Innovation Summit, and she helped me to clarify some thoughts I had bumbling around in my head about a direction I want to take BOQYE. I’m also truly grateful for her patience in waiting for this interview to be published! It has been a very hectic few months where I devoted a lot of time to building myself up professionally and learning new skills that will help make myself and Bay of Quinte Young Entrepreneurs even better.
Please welcome Barbar Schultz of Pyxis Great Lakes!
Question 1: Describe yourself in 3 words only.
Question #2: Tell me more about your business(es)? What kind are they?
- I am a corporate trainer who teaches teams to deliver better results by focusing on customer value, valuing their people and living by a set of values.
Question #3: Where does your entrepreneurial drive come from? What are your sources of inspiration?
- My drive comes from knowing that I can make a difference for workers out there.
- I can help them see the value in the work they deliver; create cultures that value people and overall help them achieve the work /life balance that we all seek.
- I believe in the Toyota System principles and values as well as the “Golden Rule”.
- I have seen too many corporate-driven stress leaves in my time to back away when I can actually help teams to help themselves
Question 4: Considering how fierce competition is among your industry, what are your business(es) competitive advantages? What makes you stand out in the crowd?
- I have a strong network of allies and have written some very ground breaking course content.
- More importantly though, I am open, honest and transparent. In short, I walk the talk.
Question 5: No two days are often the same for an entrepreneur, but what does a typical day look like for you?
- A typical week is a better synopsis.
- I try to spend 2 days per week in front of the classroom teaching, one day a week in coaching or developing my own skills and the remainder on Business Development including blogging, and expanding my network.
Question 6: What do you do daily to grow as a person?
- I read voraciously about the subject of Continuous Improvement.
- I really wish I had been this passionate when I am was in school when I studied to get good marks.
- Now I actually read the reference books that some of my authors site to get right to the nut of the learning.
Question 7: What tricks have you discovered to keep you focused, productive and achieve a decent work/life balance?
- First and foremost, I try to be kind to me so that I can be my best self.
- When I travel a lot for business I get very tired so when I am at home, I allow myself time to rest and be present with family.
- I am even learning to say not now. . . .not always no. . .
Question 8: What popular entrepreneurial advice do you agree/disagree with?
- I learned about cash flow in a course for non-financial managers. It is the most critical part of my business strategy.
Question 9: What’s your favourite metaphor to describe entrepreneurship?
- There is no such thing as a “corporate entrepreneur”. Once your pay check is guaranteed to arrive consistently, you are no longer an entrepreneur.
Question 10: What was the toughest moment you have experienced in your business practice? How did you succeed to get over it and move forward?
- I made a critical mistake with a large client. I admitted my mistake (open and honest) and recognized that he needed space.
- I got good support in turning around my negative self talk and turned my attention to other customers to regain my confidence.
Lastly, if someone wants more information, what is the best way to contact you?
- I love it when people reach out to me via email or LinkedIn.
- Even better, I love to chat with people real-time and am only a phone call away. My email is email@example.com and my phone is 416-919-5155.
If you would like to be featured in an upcoming “My Day” interview, please send me an email through my Contact page.